Powys Digital History Project

Llangurig Board School
This little village school

For more about
the origins of
Board Schools see
Education pages. 
A scattered community
The Montgomeryshire village of Llangurig lies some five miles to the south-west of Llanidloes, on the road between Aberystwyth and Rhayader. The young River Wye passes nearby.
A School Inspector's report of 1945, recorded in the School Log Book, briefly described Llangurig School:
 Llangurig School
Log Book

Powys County Archives
School log book entry 
  This was written on 28th May,1945 and reads:
"This little village school of 35 children serves a very scattered upland community of mixed linguistic elements." 

From the
Ordnance Survey
2nd Edition
6"-mile map 1903

County Archives
Mont 47 SE/SW

Part of OS map of 1903   

The portion of the 1903 Ordnance Survey map shown above includes the River Wye (bottom left) and the main roads to Aberystwyth (centre left) and to Llanidloes (centre right).

There are 17 pages on Llangurig School. Use the box links below to view the other pages.

Home page 
Schools menu page  Continue...