Powys Digital History Project

Llanidloes street life 1
The pump at the heart of town

  The water of life
In the days before the arrival of water 'on tap' to houses and business premises the town or village water pump was an absolutely vital facility for the community.
The fine photograph shown below was taken around 1895, and shows the pump which was then located in Long Bridge Street at the very centre of the town, next to the Market Hall.
Photograph by
kind permission of
Llanidloes Museum
Water pump by Market Hall 

The view is looking down Short Bridge Street, and the two neighbouring inns, the Royal Oak and the King's Head, can be seen in the background. These were later joined together and they survive today as the Royal Head.
The Wesley Stone at the corner of the  Market Hall can just be seen on the left in this picture.

There are 7 pages in this sequence. Use the box links below to view the other pages.

Home page 
Llanidloes menu page  Continue...