Powys Digital History Project

Llanidloes - the flannel makers 7
The Spring Mills factory  

  Steam power only
The fine photograph shown below is of Spring Mills flannel factory in Penygreen Road at Highgate, Llanidloes around 1891. It was built in 1875 by Thomas Jones, one of the most enterprising of Llanidloes manufacturers, and it was one of three flannel factories in the area which had only used steam power.

Spring Mills factory

National Library
of Wales

Spring Mills factory, Llanidloes 

Although Thomas Jones had built the Spring Mills factory, enlarged the Cambrian Mills and commissioned Summerfield Park, a large house overlooking the point at which the Rivers Severn and Clywedog meet near Llanidloes, his last years were marked by severe poverty due to the collapse of the local flannel trade.

There are 11 pages on the flannel industry. Use the box links below to view the other pages.

Home page 
Llanidloes menu page  Continue...