Powys Digital History Project

Llanidloes - the flannel makers 10
Trouble at the mill

  Disaster for the Cambrian
The disastrous fire which broke out at the Cambrian Flannel Company's factory on the banks of the River Clywedog, Llanidloes in November 1889 left little more than a gutted shell of the building, as shown in the photograph below.
The horse-drawn fire appliances and hand-pumps of the time were no match for large scale fires like this, even one on the river bank. The Cambrian Factory was rebuilt in 1892, and later became a leather works.

Cambrian factory

Photograph by
kind permission of
Llanidloes Museum

Cambrian factory remains,1889 
Fire photograph
by kind permission of
Cyrus Meredith
Factory fire, Llanidloes.Many of the mills and factories involved in the industry seem to have been damaged or destroyed by serious fires at some time, including the Spring Mills Factory. The photograph on the right is of one such fire in Llanidloes, though which factory is shown is uncertain.
  There are 11 pages on the flannel industry. Use the box links below to view the other pages. 
Home page 
Llanidloes menu page