Project Logo 

Gough Buildings 8
Ainon Chapel

from the
collection of
the late
John Morris

Ainon ChapelIt is thought that the Baptists of old Ystradgynlais first held services at No.7 Pelican Street, the home of Mr Llewelyn Morgan who first came there in 1838. A chapel was first built on the present site in 1848.

The above photograph dating from early this century shows the present Ainon Chapel - built in 1901 - in the right foreground on the banks of the river Tawe. The Rev. D.J. Davies was minister of the chapel for 38 years until his death in 1930.

The last public baptism in Ystradgynlais was the baptism of Daniel Evans a member of Ainon Chapel, who was baptised in the pool below Pont y Doctor in 1925.


Ainon Chapel in 1998.

  There are 9 pages on the Gough Buildings. Use the buttons below to view the other pages.