Project Logo 

Gough Buildings 6
Brynygroes cottages

Brynygroes Cottages
with the footbridge
over the canal in the

from the
collection of
the late
John Morris

This photograph from the 1950's shows the cottages by the canal lock. By this time the heyday of the canal was well into the past, the railway becoming the great industrial and commercial artery and the first real means of distance transport for working people.


The cottages as they appeared in 1998 along the new bypass.

  The map of 1877 (above left) shows the Brynygroes cottages in their canalside location with the lock and the footbridge across to Pelican Street. The photograph (right) shows the view North East from Brynygroes cottages in 1998 with the bypass now running along the line of the old canal and the top of Oddfellows Street on the right.
  There are 9 pages on the Gough Buildings. Use the buttons below to view the other pages.