Project Logo 

Gough Buildings 4
The centre of the "island"

Detail from
First Edition
25 inch
Ordnance Survey
map of 1877

County Archives

This map clearly shows the streets workers' cottages and the garden plots that were such an important part of local life.

 Photograph from
the collection
of the late
John Morris,
taken in the 1950's

This photograph - taken from the South - shows much of the area included in the map detail, with Oddfellows Street in the centre and Yorath Chapel, Cwmgiedd away in the distance (right).
  For further images of the numbered areas choose below:-
  (1) Oddfellows Street
  (2) Brynygroes cottages
  (3) Pelican Street
  (4) Ainon Chapel
  To go straight on to the southern end of the "island" press continue.  
  There are 9 pages on the Gough Buildings. Use the buttons below to view the other pages.