Victorian Powys for primary  schools
Powys Digital History Project
Brecon and
Abergavenny Canal
  Canal boats with essential supplies  

The canal which connects Brecon with the Monmouthshire Canal, some 33 miles [53km] to the south east, was built between 1793 and 1812.
The canal is now an attractive waterway for pleasure boats, but it was once a very important way of carrying heavy and bulky goods for industry and agriculture.

Heavily loaded barges towed by horses moved huge quantities of coal, iron, limestone and timber during much of the Victorian age, until the new steam railways took away most of the canal trade.

Canal and tramroad
Canals and the early railways, which used horse-drawn
wagons, were built to be used together.
A new supply route for Brecon
This canal has been known by different names, which can be confusing.
These names include the Abergavenny Canal, the Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal, and the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal.
The canal and the tramroads
The canal 'terminus' at Brecon
Cargoes for the canal boats
The 'furnaces' next to the canal
Locks, aqueducts and a tunnel

Back to Brecon transport menu...

Back to Crickhowell transport menu...

Back to top
Go to Brecon menu | Go to Crickhowell menu