canal terminus at Brecon
The map on this page is from a tithe
map of 1841, and it shows part of
the Brecon "terminus"
of the canal, here coloured in blue.
By this date there were many buildings along the Watton,
few of which are marked on the map.
The canal continued a little beyond the top left of this portion of map,
with two more wharf areas for loading
and unloading goods. Much of the most valuable trade on the canal
was carried by the Brecon Boat Company,
which operated 16 canal boats in 1820,
each of which could carry 21 tons of coal. Their large wharf is shown
top left at 1 on this map.
the early Victorian years, like the one below, were drawn up to
show who owned land and property for charging tithes or taxes.
The original numbers in black on this map were matched to a list
of owners and tenants.
The Watton 
is the main
the east, with
shown at No 6
Boat Company wharf
Although not shown
on this map, the 'Hay Railway' or tramroad,
which used horse-drawn wagons running on iron rails, had its Brecon terminus
at Watton wharf, marked 5 above. There
the 'trams' would be loaded with coal
and other goods transferred from the canal barges for delivery to Hay
and other places along the line of the tramroad.
The Gasworks  and the loading areas
around the canal at Brecon were linked by the Watton
Plateway, which also carried horse-drawn goods wagons. This
crossed the canal by drawbridges, one of which is marked at 4
on the map.
to Brecon canal menu