Victorian Powys for primary  schools
Powys Digital History Project
Brecon and district
in Victorian times
  The Watton, Brecon  

This photograph was probably taken around 1900, at the end of the Victorian age, but the scene would have changed little throughout most of the late Victorian years.
It is looking west along the Watton towards the Shire Hall and St Mary's Church.

The Watton
The Watton, Brecon

The entrance on the left of the picture led to the Canal Wharf Steam Saw Mills, then operated by William Edwards.
The premises a little further along on the left carries a sign advertising Michelin Tyres, which at this date would have been pneumatic or air-filled tyres for bicycles.
The Shire Hall, at the centre background of the picture, was built in 1842 and is now Brecknock Museum and Art Gallery.

Back to Brecon picture menu


Link to sources
Back to top
Go to Brecon menu