Powys Digital History Project

Watermills 1
New Mill, Presteigne

A mill on the border
The mill on the New Mill, PresteigneRiver Lugg just upstream from Presteigne's Lugg Bridge, has been incorporated into the adjoining miller's house to make a larger residence.
Although the external wheel has gone, the internal machinery is believed to have survived. The line of the old mill leat is marked by the England/Wales border.
The mill is known to have been operating since at least 1754 when it was marked on an early map. Records of an auction of the Boultibrooke estate dated 1797 shows it to have been a part of that estate. In 1837 the miller was William Caldicott.

Old photograph
of New Mill marked
"Mr Constable,
Mr Hope and son"


Photographs by kind permission of Mrs Cherry Leversedge 

 New Mill, Presteigne

Before the First World War the mill was adapted along lines planned by engineer R.M. Bamford of Hereford, to pump water from the Coalbrook spring to a covered reservoir at a high point in the town to provide drinking water.

There are 5 pages on watermills. Use the box links below to view the other pages.