Powys Digital History Project

Watermills 2
Tanhouse barkmill, Presteigne


The former tannery
On the south side of the river by the Lugg Bridge stands the building which was once Presteigne's tannery. The barkmill at the old tanhouse is seen in the photograph below, with the Lugg Bridge in the background.


Tanhouse barkmillPhotograph by
kind permission
of Mrs Cherry Leversedge

Wheel pit,
wooden axle
and sluice at


Photograph by
kind permission
of Mr Richard

wheel pit at TanhouseA mill has stood on the site since at least 1754 and during the years the tannery was in production it pulped the bark which was then used in the tanning process. (A photograph of the stacked bark on the site can be seen on one of the Fire Brigade pages).
A woollen mill is thought to have been in operation here after the tannery had closed, and the site was later used as a laundry. 
  There are 5 pages on watermills. Use the box links below to view the other pages.