The Boys' County/Grammar School 1
by Clifford Carr

Early days
Both the Girls' and Boys' County Schools came about as a result of the Welsh Intermediate and Technical Education Act of 1889. It was planned to serve the school districts of Brecon, Defynnog, Hay, Talgarth and Crickhowell. The target number of pupils for the Boys' School was 100. It opened on 22 September 1896, in temporary leased premises at Dr Coke's Wesleyan Chapel in Lion Street. There were 42 pupils in the first week The school was to remain in these premises for 5 years. Entry to the school was by tuition fees and a limited number of free places for pupils who passed an entrance examination. The school, like others in Wales, came under the direction of the Central Welsh Board (C.W.B.) and until the introduction of "O" and "A" levels after the Second World War, the CWB certificate became the yardstick of proficiency at Welsh secondary schools
The boys of the County School in 1901 outside Dr Cokes Memorial Hall in Lion Street (now the site of Leo's Supermarket) The school at the old premises


New Premises
The pupils moved to a newly built school at Cradoc Road in 1902. At the same time the Education Act of 1902 laid down new regulations for secondary schools which covered the times of attendance and the subjects to be taught.
Photograph of the school's new premises taken around 1909   
  Mr Nathan JohnThe first Headmaster was Nathan John, right, (1896-1909), who despite a satisfactory CWB school inspection report, was not considered to be a particularly good Headmaster, especially as a disciplinarian. 
  There are 5 pages on the County/Grammar school in Brecon. Use the box links below to view the other pages