Victorian Powys for primary  schools
Powys Digital History Project
         
Rhayader
Victorian Maps
 
  Llanwrthwl in 1847  
  The map below is based on the tithe map of around 1847. It was made by the church authorities for tax purposes. The men who made it did not put north at the top, so we have turned it to make it easier to compare with the later map of Llanwrthwl. This is why the old writing on the map is at an angle.
The map shows the small hamlet of Llanwrthwl around St. Gwrthwl's church and the eastern part of the parish in the banks of the River Wye. This formed the border between Breconshire and Radnorshire.
 
  Llanwrthwl tithe map
  Much of the parish of Llanwrthwl is wild mountainous land, but in the valleys of the rivers Elan and Wye the soils are kinder and there are larger farms like Talwrn-maenog and Dol-gai.  
  Notice on the road coming south from the village a water mill near the river. In Victorian times the water mill was an important feature of the landscape. Water power could be used in woollen mills to drive looms or for treating the cloth with a chemical called Fuller's Earth to clean it.
This mill was a corn mill where local farmers took their grain to be ground into flour.
 
 

Notice also that in 1847 there was a chapel on the same road, so that local people had a choice of the local parish church or an independent chapel where the members organised their own worship and appointed their own ministers.

Compare with Llanwrthwl in 1891...
(See what changes you can find)

 
 

Back to Rhayader maps menu

link to sources
Back to top
Go to Rhayader menu