Victorian Powys for primary  schools
Powys Digital History Project
         
Rhayader
Victorian Maps
 
  Rhayader in 1904  
 

The map below is taken from a detailed Ordnance Survey map made in 1904.
It shows that Rhayader at the end of Queen Victoria's reign is still centred on the cross roads and the Market Hall, but there have been changes.

 
  map of Rhayader in 1904
  There are more buildings in West Street and Church Street and it is obvious the town has developed and grown. Look at the Rhayader population graph to see what changes there were in the number of people in the town.  
 

Across the bridge in Cwmdeuddwr - on the western edge of the map - stands Rhayader station which has improved the area's communications with the outside world and offered opportunities to travel for working people.

Compare with Rhayader in 1840...
(See what changes you can find)

 
 

Back to Rhayader maps menu


link to sources
Back to top
Go to Rhayader menu