Victorian Powys for primary  schools
Powys Digital History Project
         
Llanidloes
Transport
 
More about...
The coming of the railways to the area  
 

Between 1860 and 1864 the Cambrian Railway extended railway services in the area and took over the Llanidloes and Newtown Railway. A new line connected Llanidloes with Brecon down the Wye valley and a line West through the mountains to the coast was planned. (See the page on Llangurig in 1866). This never got further than Llangurig though.

 
 

Llanidloes stationThe Cambrian Railway built a fine new station at Llanidloes as the Headquarters of these operations. There was a goods warehouse for the storing of goods to be sent by rail, and a cattle shed for the livestock.
Another railway connected the lead mines at Van to the station at Caersws
(see pages on Van lead mines).

  Also in the 1860's a railway was opened from Caersws over to Machynlleth and the coast, making Caersws an important junction (see Victorian map of Caersws).
This is the only one of these Victorian railways in the area still running today.

Back to Llanidloes Transport menu

Back to top
Go to Llanidloes menu