Victorian Powys for primary  schools
Powys Digital History Project
Knighton and district
Some Victorian maps
  Llangynllo in 1903  

The map below is a section of a map made at a scale of 6 inches to 1 mile in 1903.
The village still has its important corn mill, smithy, and inn but although the community looks very similar to how it did in 1840, there have been some changes to Llangynllo during Victoria's reign.

map of Llangunllo in 1903
  1. Although there was a school somewhere in the village in 1841, there is now a new school for all the local children. This was important because it gave children a real education, and gifted children could have more opportunities in life than simply working on the land.  

2. A nonconformist chapel has been built in the area, giving local people another choice for worship besides the local church.

Compare with Llangynllo around 1840...


Back to Knighton maps menu


Link to sources
Back to top
Go to Knighton menu