Victorian Powys for primary  schools
Powys Digital History Project
         
Knighton and district
Some Victorian maps
 
  Bleddfa in 1903  
 

The map below is a section of a map made at a scale of 6 inches to 1 mile in 1902.
It is more detailed than the 1840s map, so we can see more of the hamlet itself and some of the changes which have come during the long reign of Queen Victoria.

 
Bleddfa in 1903
  1. Perhaps the most important change is the village school. By the end of Victoria's reign all children in the parish had an education, even those from the poorest families. This meant they had more opportunities when they grew up. Instead of having no posssibility of a life anywhere but working on the land, children were given enough education to enable some of them to do something different with their lives if they wanted to.  
 

2. The dotted line at the bottom of the map shows the line of the water aqueduct from the Elan Valley reservoirs to Birmingham. The building of this brought work to all the small Radnorshire communities it passed through.
(Visit the pages on the building of the dams to find out more)

Compare with Bleddfa around 1840...

 
 

Back to Knighton maps menu

 

Link to sources
Back to top
Go to Knighton menu