Victorian Powys for primary  schools
Powys Digital History Project
         
Knighton and district
Some Victorian maps
 
  Beguildy in 1903  
 

The map below is a section of a map made at a scale of 6 inches to 1 mile in 1903.
Beguildy village is still a tiny community and does not look dramatically different from the village we can see on the 1840s map. Even so we can see that there have been some changes to Beguildy during Victoria's long reign.

 
map of Beguildy in 1903
  1. The map above also shows that the hamlet has a new school at the roadside. By the end of Queen Victoria's reign all the local children would have had an education up to 13. Most local children would spend there whole school lives in this one tiny building. The education they had would open up new opportunities for them.
(To find out more about Victorian school life in the area, click here).
 
  2. A new Post Office and shop have been built. This would have been very important to the community in a fairly remote spot. By the end of Queen Victoria's reign more people could read, so letter writing was a very good way of keeping in touch.  
 

3. A large new vicarage has been built for the vicar of this large parish, which stretched from Knucklas to Crygybyddar.

Compare with Beguildy in the 1840s...

 
 

Back to Knighton maps menu

 

Link to sources
Back to top
Go to Knighton menu