Victorian Powys for primary  schools
Powys Digital History Project
         
Knighton and district
Some Victorian maps
 
  Beguildy around 1840  
 

The map below is based on the tithe map of the 1840s and it gives us an idea of the village of Beguildy in the early Victorian period.
At this time the parish was often referred to as Llanfihangel Beguildy.
From the map we can see that this was a small border community in the upper Teme valley. The map was not drawn with north at the top but we have turned it round so that it is easier to compare with the later map.

 

TITHE MAPS
In Victorian times almost everyone had to pay tithes to the Church of England. At the beginning of the reign the tithe became a tax on your property. The maps were drawn to see what property everybody had
Beguildy around 1840
  Most people in the parish lived in scattered farms and cottages. Even though this area must have seemed remote in early Victorian times the community had its own craftsmen, and many people lived their whole lives without visiting a large town.  
 

In the village itself in 1841 the blacksmith was George Phillips aged 45. The village inn was the Oxford Arms run by old Alexander Joseph, and the vicar was Richard Hamer.

Compare with Beguildy in 1903...

 
 

Back to Knighton maps menu

 

Link to sources
Back to top
Go to Knighton menu