Victorian Powys for primary  schools
Powys Digital History Project
         
Hay and the Wye valley
Victorian maps
 
  Llowes around 1840  
 

The image below is based on the tithe map for the parish of Llowes. It shows the area around the village itself and gives us an impression of the community in the first years of Queen Victoria's reign.

 

TITHE MAPS
In Victorian times almost everyone had to pay tithes to the Church of England. At the beginning of the reign the tithe became a tax on your property. The maps were drawn to see what property everybody had.


Llowes around 1840
  The road running bottom left to top right is the road to England along the Radnorshire side of the Wye valley. The land you can see here is the richer land of the valley floor. The lanes going off to the top and left of the map are the roads to the upland areas of the parish.  
  The Radnor Arms has been an important wayside inn for a long time. In the days when travel was horse-drawn, inns provided food and accommodation for travellers. At this time the landlord of the Radnor Arms was Thomas Pritchard.  
  At this time the biggest landowner in the parish was Thomas Mynors Baskerville of Clyro Court. Llowes Court belonged to Walter De Winton of Maesllwch, another important landowner in the area, and was occupied by his tenant Evan Williams.  
 

At this time there were many tradesmen in the parish, including:
3 shoemakers, 3 masons, 6 sawyers, 3 carpenters, 7 wheelwrights, a tailor, a miller, a schoolmaster and a lath cleaver!
The last was a Thomas Jones and his job was to split wood into long thin, flat pieces. These were used in building timbered cottages. They could be woven across the gaps in a timber frame and then plastered over. This picture of the ruins of the old Three Tuns inn in Hay shows the laths in the frame of the building.

Compare with Llowes around 1900..

Photograph by kind permission of Mr Eric Pugh.
 

Back to the Hay maps menu

Back to top
Go to Hay menu