Victorian Powys for primary  schools
Powys Digital History Project
         
Hay and the Wye valley
Victorian maps
 
  Boughrood bridge around 1840  
 

The map below is based on the Boughrood tithe map. In it we can see the hamlet which grew up on the Radnorshire side of the river by this important crossing. The tithe records and the 1841 census tell us about the community and who lived there around this time.

 

TITHE MAPS
In Victorian times almost everyone had to pay tithes to the Church of England. At the beginning of the reign the tithe became a tax on your property. The maps were drawn to see what property everybody had.

Boughrood bridge in 1840
  1. The site of The Boat Inn. Like most of this community it was owned by the De Winton family of Maesllwch. On the 1841 census the inn was run by Lydia Pryse. At this time when most travellers went by coach, horseback, or on foot, journeys took much longer. Inns at key points like bridges or junctions (Griffin Inn, Llyswen) offered overnight accommodation.  
  2. On either side of the road we can see a cluster of cottages listed as Boatside cottages at the time. On the left hand side of the road (West) lived a surveyor Charles Fowke and his wife and 6 children. As a surveyor he may have helped in the drawing up of these tithe maps.
In the other cottages were various other families including a shopkeeper and a tailor.
 
 

3. On the banks of the River Wye we see Boughrood Mill. This was a corn mill grinding local corn into flour run by William Davies the miller. This was a vital process throughout the Victorian period when every community had its mill and some had several.

Compare with a map of the bridge in 1887...

 
 

Back to the Hay maps menu

Back to top
Go to Hay menu