Victorian Powys for primary  schools
Powys Digital History Project
         
Hay and the Wye valley
Victorian maps
 
  Boughrood around 1840  
 

The map below is based on a detail of the tithe map for Boughrood parish. It shows that part of the parish around the parish church.

 

TITHE MAPS
In Victorian times almost everyone had to pay tithes to the Church of England. At the beginning of the reign the tithe became a tax on your property. The maps were drawn to see what property everybody had.

Boughrood around 1840
  The map shows the hamlet of Boughrood to be a small scatter of farms near the church. Boughrood Court belonged to the Maesllwch estate as a great many other farms in the area did. In 1841 the census listed the tenant of Boughrood Court as Edward Powell who lived there with his wife Mary and their 5 children. The eldest was Charles at 20 years old and the youngest Roger who was 10. None of them went to school and they probably all worked on the farm.
Also at the Court were a wheelwright and his family.
 
  The building marked 215 on the North Western side of the church yard next to Boughrood Court is listed in the Tithe records as Church House. It too was part of the Maesllwch estate. In early Victorian times these rich landlords were very important people in the community.  
  Neuadd belonged to another rich landowner, Arthur Macnamara. The tenant was Thomas Pugh who farmed there with his family.
.
 
  Compare with the map of the hamlet in 1887  
 

Back to the Hay maps menu

Back to top
Go to Hay menu