Royal Welsh Warehouse
|The start of a world-wide business
manufacturers around Newtown had much better means of sending
their products out to their customers after the opening of three new railway
lines between 1859 and
Cambrian House was located at The Cross,
the southern end of Broad Street in Newtown.
This was where Pryce Jones learned his trade as a draper.
The building was demolished in 1898, and the Cross Buildings and Clock Tower were built near the site.
At the age of just 21 Pryce Jones
ran this business on his own for a few years
when his employer was away. After his return Pryce Jones left in 1859
to open his own small shop just off Broad Street in Newtown. It was from
here that he first tried out his ideas which were to lead to the promising
beginnings of the first mail order business
in the world !
First Wales, and then
the world !
Eisteddfodd of Wales
Medals won in
1865, 1866, 1867
and 1868 as shown in
a mailing list.