Victorian Powys for primary  schools
Powys Digital History Project
         
Newtown and district
Victorian views
 
  The Clock Tower at the Cross  
 

Another early picture postcard of one of the main streets of Newtown is shown below. This view is of the High Street looking towards the Cross Buildings, which occupy the junction of Broad Street and High Street.
The photograph was probably taken in the early 1900s, not long after the completion of the building. Part of the premises was used by Barclays Bank, which later took over the ground floor shops.

 
Cross Building
Newtown
around 1900
High Street, Newtown
 

The construction of this building was due to Sarah Brisco, who was a descendant of the Pryce family of Newtown Hall.
Work began in 1898 to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria in 1897. The town clock, which was the most prominent feature of the new building, was presented to the people of Newtown in 1900.

Back to Newtown picture menu

 

Link to sources
Back to top
Go to Newtown menu
RDR