Victorian Powys for primary  schools
Powys Digital History Project
         
Llanidloes
Victorian photographs
 
  The old Market Hall  
 

This picture shows the 400 year old Market Hall at the crossroads in the centre of the town. The weekly market was held in the covered cobbled area underneath.
In the early years of the Victorian period when the Llanidloes flannel making industry was doing well, large bales of flannel which had been made and processed in the district were brought to the Market Hall before being taken off to Welshpool for sale.

 
Market Hall
Llanidloes
around
1899
Market Hall around 1900
 

The old photograph above of the Market Hall was taken after 1897, when the building was first used by the 'Working Modern photo of Market HallMen's Institute and Library'.
The large door on the upper floor was once used for loading and unloading wool and flannel.
You can also see the stairs leading to the upper floor behind the two men on the left.
The modern picture above shows that both these doors have since been closed off, but the ancient Market Hall still looks much the same.

Back to Llanidloes picture menu

 

Link to sources
Back to top
Go to Llanidloes menu
RDR