Victorian Powys for primary  schools
Powys Digital History Project
         
Llanidloes
Victorian photographs
 
  The Britannia Inn  
 

The old photograph on this page shows one of the buildings in Short Bridge Street, Llanidloes when it was in business as the Britannia Inn.

 
Britannia Inn
Llanidloes

1880s
The Britannia Inn,c1882 The inn was one of a row of properties built in 1815, with neat railings and hedges set slightly back from the street.
The building next door was the first bank to open in the town, provided by a local flannel manufacturer. The old inn is now flats called "The Laurels".
 
 

This photograph was probably taken in the 1880's. At that time the local people had the choice of four public houses to drink in, just in this street alone. They have to manage with only one now !
The building is still there, almost opposite the remaining pub in the street, the Royal Head.
The picture may show the landlord and his family, since the little girl looks a bit young to be a customer !

Back to Llanidloes picture menu

 

Link to sources
Back to top
Go to Llanidloes menu
RDR