Victorian Powys for primary  schools
Powys Digital History Project
         
Llandrindod and district
in Victorian times
 
  The Pump House Hotel  
  The old picture postcard below of the Pump House Hotel in Llandrindod Wells shows the huge scale of some of the hotels which were built to meet the needs of visitors to the town.
This postcard was coloured by hand from a black and white photograph, and was probably printed around 1900.
The hotel was built in 1888 on the site of the farm which had the earliest pump house in the district. Part of an 1892 advertisement for the hotel is shown on the right.
Hotel advertisement
Pump House
Hotel,
Llandrindod
Wells

around 1900
 

The corner of the new baths and pump house which belonged to the hotel can be seen at the edge of the picture on the right. This structure is the only part of the huge building which still survives today.
The 'tent' in front of the hotel was a small bandstand. There is another picture of this hotel in its heyday in the 'Taking the waters' section of our website.

Back to Llandrindod picture menu

 

Link to sources
Back to top
Go to Llandrindod menu
RDR