Victorian Powys for primary  schools
Powys Digital History Project
         
Hay and district
In Victorian times
 
  The Wesleyan Methodist chapel  
 

This photograph shows the Wesleyan Methodist chapel which once stood at the corner of Brecon Road and St Mary's Road in Hay.
Members of the congregation had gathered outside the chapel in about 1880 to have their picture taken.
John Wesley came to preach in this chapel on a number of
occasions between 1771 and 1781.

 
Chapel in
Hay
around
1880
The building had fallen into a very bad state by 1910, when the picture above was taken.
 

The chapel originally had a single floor, a high pitched roof, and the attractive tall windows seen above. This made it ideally suited for use as a chapel, but it was later split into two floors and used first as a workshop and later as a house.

The house that now stands on the site of the old chapel still has the same roof shape, and the next door cottages in St Mary's Road are little changed from the old photographs. At least some of the old structure seems to have survived for conversion into the house pictured here.

Back to Hay picture menu

 

Above photographs
with thanks to
Eric Lewis Pugh
of Hay
Link to sources
Back to top
Go to Hay menu
RDR