Powys Digital History Project 

Ynyscedwyn House 2
A gentleman's residence

The Gough family
The male line of the Aubreys of Ynyscedwyn failed and it was one Catherine Aubrey who married a William Gough of Willersby in Gloucestershire. Richard Gough Aubrey was the only squire who invested in the great industrial changes taking place in the valley.
In the 1790's he took part in the launching of the Swansea Canal and he started a colliery at Lower Cwmtwrch. He died in 1808 and was succeeded by his brother, the Rev. Fleming Gough, who was the second of the squires of Ynyscedwin to hold the living of the parish.

Architect's plan of Ynyscedwyn House
(1838) from the
estate papers

By kind permission of
West Glamorgan
Record Office
(Ref D/D/Yc 1175)

Plan of Ynscedwyn HouseLittle is known about the earlier houses on the site but in the early 19th century plans were drawn up for a fine gentleman's residence in keeping with the status of the family. Richard Douglas Gough, the son of the above Rev. Gough, was Sheriff of Breconshire in 1840.

His son Fleming Richard Dansey Aubrey Gough followed in the family tradition, serving as a JP in Breconshire and in Glamorganshire, and also as Sherrif of Breconshire in 1895.

  Fleming Richard Gough also saw duty as Lt.-Col. of the Brecknockshire Battalion of the South Wales Borderers.
At his death in 1933 the estate passed out of the hands of the Goughs.
The Arms of the Gough family of Ynyscedwyn House are shown here. The motto Nec ferae terrent means "Nor do wild beasts terrify"
  There are 3 pages on Ynscedwyn House. Use the box links below to view the other pages.