Hendomen 4
Aftermath and archaeology

The first de Bouler, Baldwin, gave his name [in Welsh Maldwyn] to the new town of Montgomery and to the county of Montgomeryshire. In 1215 the area was again in the hands of the Welsh but in 1223 Henry III constructed a new castle of stone on a "craggy promontory". This structure is now a ruin, slighted after the civil war in 1649. The old motte of Roger may have been occupied concurrently with the new castle for there was no oversight of Rhydwyman from "new Montgomery". During the years the new castle was under construction, a new church (St Nicholas) was built from 1223 -1227 which is still the parish church.
For detailed accounts of the excavation of Hendomen, readers should refer to the two publications of Barker and Higham:
1. Hendomen, Montgomery: A Timber Castle on the English-Welsh Border. Excavations 1960 - 1988. A Summary Report 1988. [The Hendomen Archaeological Trust 1988].
  2. Hendomen, Montgomery:- A Timber Castle on the English-Welsh Border. Vol.1. [The Royal Archaeological Institute.1982].
  The latter publication has a very comprehensive bibliography.
  There are 7 pages on the norman origins of Hendomen. Use the box links below to view the other pages