Victorian Powys for primary  schools
Powys Digital History Project
Welshpool and district
Population graphs
  Census figures for Leighton parish  

population graph for Leighton

  The actual recorded figures for the population of the parish were:-  
  In the year 1841 - 220 people
In the year 1851 - 297
In the year 1861 - 431
In the year 1871 - 387
In the year 1881 - 388
In the year 1891 - 348
In the year 1901 - 353

Leighton parish was originally a part of Worthen parish. The figures shown here are just for the Montgomeryshire part.
Leighton is a rural parish across the river Severn from Welshpool. Most of the inhabitants were probably workers on the Leighton Hall estate, but Leighton was close enough to Welshpool for locals to travel into the town for work.

Compare this graph with those of other parishes in the area.
Is the overall trend the same?
If the trend differs, in what way does it differ?


Back to Welshpool population menu


Link to sources
Back to top
Go to Welshpool menu