Victorian Powys for primary  schools
Powys Digital History Project
         
Welshpool and district
in Victorian times
 
  The Montgomery Canal at Welshpool  
 

This photograph shows the basin of the Montgomeryshire Canal at Welshpool, probably in the early 1900s.
It is looking south-west from the Severn Street bridge. The building on the right was the Hollybush wharf, which was once one of seventeen coal wharves on the canal.

 
Montgomery
Canal at
Welshpool
around 1901
Montgomery canal
The former wharf building in the old photograph now houses the
Powysland Museum.
Many Victorian items can be seen among a wide range of exhibits covering the history of Montgomeryshire.
Powysland Museum
 

The main trade of the working canal was limestone, which made a very good fertiliser when it was burned with coal. Limestone and coal were carried on the canal boats and delivered to the many lime kilns which were in use alongside the canal.
The waterway was also heavily used for exporting timber from the county.
You can see the waterwheel of an old corn mill just to the right of the lock gates at the centre of the picture.

Back to Welshpool picture menu

 

Back to top
Go to Welshpool menu
RDR