Victorian Powys for primary  schools
Powys Digital History Project
         
Welshpool and district
in Victorian times
 
  The empty space of Broad Street  
 

Another early view of Broad Street in Welshpool is shown below. The photograph was taken from the meeting point of four main streets in the centre of the town at The Cross.
Broad Street looks very empty here, and it is thought that the picture was taken in the early 1890s.

 
Broad Street
Welshpool
around
1893
Broad Street
 

The building on the corner of Berriew Street on the left of the picture was then the North and South Wales Bank.
Stead and Simpson's shoe shop, with the blinds down, can be seen just to the left of the stone column.
The gas lamp on the top of the obelisk was removed in 1900 and the remaining two lamps on the sides disappeared in later years.

Back to Welshpool picture menu

 

Back to top
Go to Welshpool menu
RDR