Victorian Powys for primary  schools
Powys Digital History Project
         
Welshpool and district
in Victorian times
 
  The River Rhiw at Berriew  
 

The village of Berriew is about 5 miles (8km) to the south-west of Welshpool. It is shown here in an engraving which was probably made around 1830.
The view is looking across the River Rhiw towards the parish church of St Beuno.

 
Engraving
of Berriew
around
1830
River Rhiw at Berriew
 

Berriew is a very attractive village, with many fine black and white half-timbered houses and cottages.
The present church was built in 1802 on the site of an early medieval church, and was partly rebuilt in 1875. It stands within a raised circular churchyard enclosure, which often indicates the site of a very early place of worship.
The Montgomery Canal crosses the River Rhiw over an aqueduct at Berriew.

Back to Welshpool picture menu

 

Back to top
Go to Welshpool menu
RDR