Victorian Powys for primary  schools
Powys Digital History Project
         
Rhayader
in Victorian times
 
  A view over the River Wye  
 

This photograph appears to have been taken from high ground between the site of the old castle and Church Street in Rhayader. The view from the western edge of the town is looking over the River Wye into the neighbouring parish of Llantsantffraid Cwmdeuddwr.

Photograph with thanks to
Lloyd Lewis
of Rhayader
Western
edge of
Rhayader
around 1892
Near Rhayader Bridge
 

The old hump-backed stone bridge over the River Wye shown in this photograph was built in 1780, and reconstructed in 1929 to cope with the growth in motor traffic.
The church in the background on the left in this view is St Brides in the parish of Cwmdeuddwr.

Back to Rhayader picture menu

 

Back to top
Go to Rhayader menu
RDR