Victorian Powys for primary  schools
Powys Digital History Project
         
Rhayader
in Victorian times
 
  Church Street, Rhayader  
 

This is another view of Rhayader taken from a picture postcard made for visitors to the districts in the late Victorian or early Edwardian years.
This photograph was taken in Church Street, Rhayader looking south in the direction of West Street.

 
Church Street
Rhayader
around 1900

Church Street
 

The church of St Clement's, after which this street is named, was behind the photographer when he took this scene. The building on the left behind the local people standing in the road is the Bethany Chapel.
The building on the right with the bay windows is Plas yn Dre, and this side of it is the whitewashed Eagle Inn. Some of the old original cobblestone pavement still survives here today.

Back to Rhayader picture menu

 

Back to top
Go to Rhayader menu
RDR