Victorian Powys for primary  schools
Powys Digital History Project
         
Presteigne
Some Victorian maps
 
  1835 map of New Radnor  
 

New Radnor in 1835

 
 

This image is an enlarged section of a 1inch to 1 mile map published by the Ordnance Survey in 1835. It shows New Radnor at the time Queen Victoria came to the throne.
The shape of the community is still that of the medieval borough created centuries before. The castle, now ruined, still stands on the mound to the north of the town. Many of the houses standing in 1835 had been built of stone taken from the castle.
The letters T.G. to the west of the village denote the Tollgate.

Compare with New Radnor in 1904...

 
 

Back to Presteigne map menu

 

 
Back to top
Go to Presteigne menu