Victorian Powys for primary  schools
Powys Digital History Project
         
Newtown and district
Victorian views
 
  High Street, Newtown before 1898  
 

The photograph on this page shows High Street in Newtown, looking towards the Cross and the junction with Broad Street. It dates from before 1898, and is of particular interest when you compare it with a similar view taken after 1900 shown on another of our pages.
The buildings seen at the end of High Street had been knocked down by 1898, when work started on the new Cross Buildings and Clock Tower built to mark Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee.

To compare this
photograph with
the later one
click here
High Street
Newtown
before 1898
High Street, Newtown
  The old ivy covered building on the left is the Buck Inn, which is also shown on another of these pages. The site next to the inn appears to be empty at the time of the above photograph, but by 1906 a new shop had been built there.
This is shown on a hand-coloured picture postcard of that date, part of which is shown on the right. The new clock tower has also changed the view by this date.
High Street, Newtown
 

There was still space for a business premises between the new shop and the Buck Inn, and this was in use as an auction yard at one time and became a small garage in the 1920s.

Back to Newtown picture menu

 

Link to sources
Back to top
Go to Newtown menu
RDR