Victorian Powys for primary  schools
Powys Digital History Project
         
Machynlleth
Some Victorian maps
 
  Machynlleth in 1842  

map of Machynlleth in 1842


TITHE MAPS
In Victorian times almost everyone had to pay tithes to the Church of England. At the beginning of the reign the tithe became a tax on your property. The maps were drawn to see what property everybody had.
  The map of Machynlleth above is based on the tithe map of the town, and it gives us an idea of what it was like at the beginning of Queen Victoria's reign.
The familiar shape of a letter 'T' on its side is still there in the year 2000. In 1842 though there was nothing but gardens behind the houses along these streets.
The town then consisted of Maengwyn Street, Pentrerhedyn Street and Penrallt Street and little else.
Notice also the old Market Hall standing at the junction of the Streets where the later clock tower stands.

Compare with Machynlleth in 1903...

 
 

Back to Machynlleth map menu

 

 
Back to top
Go to Machynlleth menu