Victorian Powys for primary  schools
Powys Digital History Project
         
Llanwrtyd and district
Some Victorian maps
 
  "Pontrhydyfferau" hamlet around 1845  
 

The surveyors who made the tithe map of Llanwrtyd parish included this small detail of the hamlet itself. Even though people did travel here to take the waters at this time, the 1841 census recorded just 27 people at the hamlet.

 

TITHE MAPS
In Victorian times almost everyone had to pay tithes to the Church of England. At the beginning of the reign the tithe became a tax on your property. The maps were drawn to see what property everybody had
Powys County Archives
 

The inhabitants in 1841 included David Protheroe who ran the New Inn, and Rees Price who ran the smithy with his son Thomas.
There were 3 miners living in the village. Two of them were still mining at 70 years of age!

 
  Compare with a map of the area in 1887..  
 

Back to Llanwrtyd maps menu..

Link to sources
Back to top
Back to Llanwrtyd menu