Victorian Powys for primary  schools
Powys Digital History Project
         
Llanfyllin
Some Victorian maps
 
  Llanfyllin in 1850  
  The map below is based on the tithe map of 1850 for Llanfyllin. From it we get a picture of the town in the early Victorian period.
We can see from the layout of the town that this is a community - like many of the others in Powys - which grew up where roads meet and there was a good river crossing.
 
 

TITHE MAPS
In Victorian times almost everyone had to pay tithes to the Church of England. At the beginning of the reign the tithe became a tax on your property. The maps were drawn to see what property everybody had.
 

From the top left of the map to the bottom right we can see the main route down the valley of the River Cain. Going off at right angles to this is the road over the river to the smaller communities to the north.
As at Llanfair Caereinion and Builth Wells, a market was established at this meeting of ways and a town developed.

In 1850 life in the community was very different to the lives of local people today, but it was a thriving rural community with many craftsmen and tradesmen earning a living and providing important services to the surrounding area. (See the Trade Directory in the 'Earning a living' section)

Compare with Llanfyllin in 1902...

 
 

Back to Llanfyllin maps menu

 

Link to sources
Back to top
Go to Llanfyllin menu