Victorian Powys for primary  schools
Powys Digital History Project
         
Llanfyllin
Some Victorian maps
 
  Meifod in 1840  
 

The map below is based on the tithe map of 1840 and gives us an idea of the village of Meifod in the early Victorian period.
From the map we can see that the community developed on a route along the valley of the River Vyrnwy at a convenient crossing point.

 

TITHE MAPS
In Victorian times almost everyone had to pay tithes to the Church of England. At the beginning of the reign the tithe became a tax on your property. The maps were drawn to see what property everybody had

This small village was home to a thriving community of people at this time. The parish of Meifod, which included the countryside around the village, had 16 shoemakers, 8 blacksmiths, 5 wheelwrights and 4 dressmakers, as well as the butcher, baker and grocer we would expect.
The Lion Inn was run by Sarah Phillips.
The village had a school at this time, though how many poor families could afford to send their children to it we don't know. The schoolmaster was Thomas Morgan, who lodged at Red House.

Compare with Meifod in 1902...

 
 

Back to Llanfyllin maps menu

Link to sources
Back to top
Go to Llanfyllin menu