Victorian Powys for primary  schools
Powys Digital History Project
         
Llanfyllin
Some Victorian maps
 
  Llanfechain in 1840  
 

The map below is based on the tithe map of 1840, and it gives us an idea of the village of Llanfechain in the early Victorian period. From the map we can see that the community developed at a convenient crossing point over the River Cain on a route along the valley into England.

 

TITHE MAPS
In Victorian times almost everyone had to pay tithes to the Church of England. At the beginning of the reign the tithe became a tax on your property. The maps were drawn to see what property everybody had
Llanfechain in 1840
 

The census returns for 1841 tell us who lived and worked here around that time.
This small village had the full range of craftsmen working in it. There were two blacksmiths, 3 masons, 1 cooper, 1 carpenter and a wheelwright. There were also 2 shoemakers and a tailor to supply the needs of local people.

The village also had a printer and a parish clerk, and a carrier to take their goods to larger towns.
There was also a school in the village looked after by the schoolmaster Morris Davies, though many families would not have been able to afford to send their children to school
.

Compare with Llanfechain in 1902...

 
 

Back to Llanfyllin maps menu

 

Link to sources
Back to top
Go to Llanfyllin menu