Victorian Powys for primary  schools
Powys Digital History Project
         
Llandrindod and district
Victorian school days
 
  Llandrindod National School  
 

This old photograph, which is unfortunately a bit on the dark side, shows the children of Llandrindod and Cefnllys School (the National School) around 1895.
The gentleman on the right looks rather like a French policeman in this picture, but he was the teacher. He was wearing a straw hat - but you can't see the brim !

 
Llandrindod
and Cefnllys
National
School
around 1895
Llandrindod School children
 

Although it started at an earlier date in the church, Llandrindod and Cefnllys National School was first opened in 1878, before it had a proper school building. The first classes were held in the local Assembly Rooms.
The school fees were 6 pence a week for one child, 9 pence for two children from the same family, or 11 pence for three ! Any more than three cost 2 pence each !
The first school building in Tremont Road was used until recently by Theatr Powys. The history of this little school continues today as Trefonnen School.

Back to Llandrindod schools menu

 

Link to sources
Back to top
Go to Llandrindod menu
RDR