Victorian Powys for primary  schools
Powys Digital History Project
         
Knighton and district
Victorian views
 
  The Chandos in the 1880s  
 

This old photograph was taken around 1883, and it shows the junction of Church Street, High Street, and West Street in Knighton.
The building on the left-hand corner, the Chandos, was once the town house of the Brydges family. The head of the family later became the Duke of Chandos. The Chandos operated as an inn, and then traded as a butchers and other kinds of business at different times. Much of the building was knocked down in the 1930s to widen the road.

 
Central
Knighton
around 1883
Church Street,Knighton
 

The corner building in the middle of the picture was a draper's shop for some years, and later became the Birmingham and Counties Bank. This was later demolished and Barclays Bank was built in its place in 1892.

Back to Knighton picture menu

 

Link to sources
Back to top
Go to Knighton menu
RDR