Victorian Powys for primary  schools
Powys Digital History Project
         
Builth and district
in Victorian times
 
  A distant view of Builth  
 

This postcard shows a distant view of the market town of Builth as seen from the quarry area of Llanelwedd beyond the north bank of the River Wye.
The date of the picture is uncertain but it is clearly a twentieth century photograph. The route of the railway line which was built in the Victorian years can be seen coming into view at the bottom left corner and then moving diagonally across the picture. The railway station, which first opened in 1864, was just to the right of the centre of the photograph.

 
Builth Wells
from
Llanelwedd
Builth from Llanelwedd
 

The stone bridge can be seen at the bend in the River Wye as the river disappears from view.
The parish church of Llanelwedd lies among the trees and near the railway line at the right centre of the postcard. The village school lies to the right of the church alongside the road to Llandrindod Wells.
Today much of the land behind Llanelwedd School is the site of the Royal Welsh Show, which is held here in July every year.

Back to Builth picture menu

 

Link to sources
Back to top
Go to Builth menu
RDR