Victorian Powys for primary  schools
Powys Digital History Project
Builth and district
  Builth Road: a new railway community  

Where the Mid Wales Railway and the Central Wales Extension Railway crossed, a new community grew up.
As can be seen from this 1888 map, two stations were built - one on each line. This meant that travellers could travel along one line, get off at Builth Road to change to the other line, and then travel along that.
Look below to find out about the numbered features on the map.

  1.The ancient enclosure of Cwrt Llechryd was the home and stronghold of some important local lord. This was 1000 years old when the railway company built its new line straight through the enclosure, thus destroying part of the site.  
  2.The Central Wales Railway from Craven Arms to Swansea, with its station called Builth Road Station.  
  3.The Mid Wales Railway from Llanidloes connecting with Brecon and Hay. Its station is called Llechryd Station at this time.  
  4. Goods shed where goods can be stored for sending down either railway line.  

In 1887 a lift was built to take passengers and their luggage from one station up to the other, and from 1889 Llechryd Station became known as Builth Road Low Level Station.

This 1888 map shows Railway Terrace, a street built especially for the railway workers and their families. Around 1890 another street was built called Wye View Terrace, just off the to the map to the left.
Although the Central Wales line closed in the 1960s, the Mid Wales line is still in operation today.


Back to Builth transport menu

Link to sources
Back to top
Go to Builth menu