Victorian Powys for primary  schools
Powys Digital History Project
Builth and district
in Victorian times
  Bank Square becomes sheep square !  

This old photograph shows Bank Square in Builth packed full with sheep pens during one of the regular livestock markets held in the town.
This area is just off Market Street, and the building on the left in this photograph can also be seen clearly near the centre of the sheep sale picture on one of the other pages in this series.

Bank Square
Builth Wells
Sheep market, Builth

This photograph was probably taken around 1900, when parts of the town were still being taken over by livestock brought in from the surrounding areas for sale.
A specially built livestock market was eventually provided nearby on the Brecon road in 1910, much to the relief of the Builth shopkeepers !

Back to Builth picture menu


Link to sources
Back to top
Go to Builth menu