Powys Digital History Project

Some watermills of the Rhayader area
Caerfagu Mill 1

  A fine relic of different times
Caerfagu Mill stands by the River Dulas, a tributary of the Ithon, in the parish of Nantmel not far from the village itself below the old turnpike road.  

Detail from
1st edition 1"
Ordnance Survey
map showing
Caerfagu Mill
simply as Felin

Powys County Archives

  A release in the Powys County Archives office records the transfer of the Gurvagy Mill in 1774 and there may well have been a mill on the site long before that. The mill building and the attached miller's cottage still stand and are in excellent condition, though not in use as a mill since before the Second World War. 

Photograph of
Caerfagu Mill

By kind permission of
Mr Richard Tucker

The cottage is a two storey building but the mill was extended upward to three storeys in 1859 according to a date stone.
The range of buildings is aligned parallel to the river on the north bank, with a half mile leat feeding water to an external wheel on the eastern end. Machinery still survives in this end of the mill building.
Ruins across the lane may well have been the mill's drying kiln.

See the next page for further material on the mill complex.